Wednesday, April 20, 2011

NECK WORK

At work today we were talking about Stafon Johnson's bench press accident, and one of my work buddies, Alonzo, mentioned that Johnson would have likely died if his neck had not been so strong. Seems like, except for athletes, the neck is neglected in most exercise programs. The more I read, though, folks like Bob Hoffman had neck work in a lot of programs. 


I found this article by John Wood on neck strengthening, and I learned a lot. My neck is one of my weak areas, so I was looking for some safe, SANE, yet effective training tips. I had heard about doing the wrestler's bridge, but it was helpful to learn that wall walks are a great way to build up to doing the wrestler's bridge. The Navy Seal videos I posted a while back had some neck work, but not weighted, like you would see with a machine or a head strap or the wrestler's bridge with weights included. 


Probably goes without saying to be careful and consult a doctor. I'm open to any references folks have to offer on neck work.

EDIT: I found some videos on neck work. Using dumbbells and a towel looks like a great way to build neck strength, if there is not a neck machine in your gym or home gym. Also, a weight plate and towel or head strap can be used, but it is not as easy to hold as a dumbbell. I also added a video on the wrestler's bridge. My layman's opinion is that one should work up to the neck bridge. That seems like the deep end of the pool to me. Just saying. Also, always consult a doctor and exercise safely, not stupidly. The goal is longevity.


No comments:

Post a Comment