Wednesday, April 20, 2011

SANDBAG TRAINING

If you have read DINOSAUR TRAINING, then you know Brooks Kubik and many others consider sandbag training the bread and butter of building those stabilization muscles. (There is a whole chapter in DINOSAUR TRAINING regarding lifting heavy awkward objects--sandbags being the least dangerous, cheapest, and most practical.) We have 80lb bags of sodium chloride at work and 100lb bags of L-aspartic acid and l-glutamic acid, and even strong guys struggle with those. So I understand what Brooks is saying about doing deadlifts, curls, or clean and presses with a hefty sandbag. Believe me, you will FEEL that the next day, even if you follow every good lifting principle in the book!  I'm a cheap bastard, so I am going to buy two duffel bags, some contractor trash bags, twine, and carry a shovel the next time I go to the Gulf Shores. LOL. In the meantime, I'll do curls with bags of salt.

Here is a quick and dirty (literally) guide to constructing a sandbag, in case you didn't know that the sand goes in the duffel bag, then you close it. ;)

Sandbag Construction Kit 

1 comment:

  1. You can get sand at any hardware store for $2-5 per 50lbs. If I remember right, play sand was the cheapest. I picked up a couple military duffles, contractor trash bags, and 300lbs of sand for around $50. A big military duffle will allow for up to 300 pounds of sand.

    ReplyDelete